Thursday, June 18, 2009

Work was decent today, although lunch was definitely the highlight-the dregs of our Tuesday dinner with Sara really brightened up the grossness of the lurking Boston grey. I think I’m losing momentum on the whole weight loss thing. But I’ll clarify.

I just finished my junior year and most of my friends were abroad second semester, leaving me alone to either waste away in a dirty puddle of sorrow or to improve myself, and create a sparkly new me for when my friends (and boys I want to impress) returned. I chose the latter option. Over winter break, I realized I was definitely a little chubs. Actually, I was the heaviest I’ve ever been, and I didn’t feel healthy-I was bloated on sugar, beer, pizza (more specifically tomato and ricotta calzones), and the other excesses of college life. I detested the school gym and had no way of getting to the gym where I was a member, since all my friends with cars were in France, Spain, Israel, and every other country on Earth.

I can be quite a recluse, and second semester I practically became a hermit. I went to class and work, and started walking every day, first for an hour, then and hour and a half, then two hours. I also made a concerted effort to eat healthily, monitoring my portions and eating veggies. Now that Emily is back from abroad, I’m starting to fall off the wagon, what with my easily distractable mind (and stomach). It’s definitely not her fault, since she eats really well, but when I can’t focus all my energy on one thing I get frustrated and lose focus. I think I just need to remind myself each morning and each night (especially when I’m sitting in front of the TV, craving some pudding) about all of my hard work.

I haven’t gotten any bigger (I’m still at my new and improved size 6) but I don’t feel as healthy and am getting bloated again. Since work’s started, I stopped working out for the first two weeks and am just starting to get back to the evil machines. The weather is just so gross, though, and I immensely prefer walking to mindlessly churning away on an elliptical.

I WILL not sacrifice my livelihood, though, i.e. the quality and deliciousness of my food. I just need to try to do everything in moderation, like having non-boring salads and chicken almost all of the time, so I can splurge hardcore twice a week, with one awesome meal out and one delicious homemade meal + dessert at home. We, the interns, are going to Les Zygomates for lunch tomorrow, so I’m going to force myself to have a salad, then perhaps I’ll pick up a can of Amy’s lentil soup for dinner. I think I should just buy a bag of lentils, soak them, and make my own soup since I eat lentil soup so much anyways. I’ve made it before, but unfortunately my uber-insane parents forced me to make the Dr. Weil recipe, which of course was horrible, basically consisting of just lentils and water. More updates on Les Zygomates and the lentils soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment