Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lunch at Davio’s, right by Boston Commons, today-one of the higher ups took seven of us lowly interns to lunch. He’s a regular patron, taking clients there practically every day, so we had our own little room, facing the window and its high towers of Boston and beyond. Tom Brady sat in my seat two days before, so I was feeling pretty hot and bothered by the time my pressed caprese with proschiutto (my loyal sandwich standby) arrived. The food was decent but the atmosphere rich; everyone eating in there obviously was making bank, what with the over $20 lunch options and the faux baroque detailing dripping from the ceiling and walls.

It’s one of the first truly beautiful days of this Boston summer, blue skies for miles and the harbor bustling with activity (I can practically see to Maine up here from the 30th floor…at least I have something to look at while I’m compounding spreadsheets all day). Can’t wait to make dinner with Emily and Sara. Em and I made this same menu before, a few weeks ago, pulling the recipes from my Hay Day cookbook I got at the used bookstore in Rice Village on my brief but wonderful trip to Houston. The corn chowder is fresh and creamy, and will be all the more wonderful with the beauteous corn from the SOWA produce market from this weekend. Chicken stuffed with goat cheese is always delish, but even more so when I throw in some herbes de Provence (not called for in the recipe but definitely necessary nonetheless).

I’m trying a new dessert recipe, a French tart crust filled with lemon curd and homemade raspberry jam. I’m still debating whether or not to strain the jam before swirling it into the curd, but am too lazy, and too poor, to pick up a strainer at the store. I will force Em to take a picture of my masterpiece so I can post it, since I have yet to splurge on a new camera.

I really want a Canon G7, but honestly am going to settle for the most expensive camera I can find on Amazon that’s being sold used for the cheapest price. Last night, I found two different new Canon models priced over $550 that were being sold used for under $60. After another week or two of getting paid I’ll make the sacrifice. Hey, man, if I’m going to cook all this delicious food I damn well better remember (and document) it, more for selfish motives than for my adoring public. I hate not being able to revisit places or moments in the past-it freaks me out, makes me feel like life is moving too fast and passing me by. Transience is not my jam, so I like to have the option of returning to a feeling or a place. Pictures of my food, my friends, and my travels keep me sane. Even the horrible drunk pictures I have to de-tag on Facebook (those are all saved on my computer, never to be seen again by anyone outside a very privileged circle of friends).

No comments:

Post a Comment